Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources

Lewis Lake Park
Orlando E. Lewis





 

- National Magazine: Volume 2, 1895, Town of Winthrop, page 574
"Orlando E. Lewis was born in Hardin county, Ohio, July 19, 1846. He fought in the Civil War, enlisting before he was 15. After the war he worked in the shoe and boot industry, later developing a "wire grip slugger" used extensively to manufacture shoes. He moved to Winthrop in 1885. He became a real estate developer, president of the Winthrop Steamship Company, and chairman of the Board of Selectmen."
- Massachusetts Historical Commission, MACRIS - Lewis Lake Park - WTH.905, PDF
"One might trace the beginnings of Lewis Lake Park to the construction of the Washington Ave pile bridge in 1883-84. this bridge stretched from Washington Ave. to Sturgis and Shirley Streets at Winthrop Beach. This bridge for the first time introduced a barrier across Crystal Cove and set a precedent for the eventual enclosure of this waterway. The cove seems to have become a lake or large pond (1907-1912), with the filling in of land on either side of Washington Ave. This area was set aside as a park in the late 1920's when extensive improvements were being conducted along several parts of the town's shore line, It was named for Winthrop real estate developer Orlando E. Lewis, who served as a Town Selectman and had a great appreciation for the natural beauty of the town."
In 1895 his petition was approved to fill solid, build a pile wharf, and the dredge in Crystal Bay.
- Massachusetts Harbor and Land Commission, Annual Report, Volume 17

The Bostonian, Volume 1: Orlando E. Lewis

Google Maps Street View
View Google Map



HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org