Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources

Woodside Park
William and Harriet Wood





 

Woodside Park was part of Edward Gibbons' Winthrop lands during the mid-17th century. During the 18th century it was part of James Bill's extensive landholdings. In the 1850s, Winthrop's harborside began to be carved up into estates. William and Harriet Wood purchased land extending from Pleasant St. to the water's edge, and built a house at 142 Pleasant St. The house was much later turned into a nursing home, and eventually with a brick structure.

William and Harriet's son, George Howard Wood, was a well-known merchant tailor in Boston with the firm of Wood & Dodge. He inherited the land and laid out a development that featured Victorian-style cottages opposite an oval park.

"Woodside Park is characterized by an eliptical, tree shaded park bordered on the east and part of the west side by Queen Ann residences built c.1885-1895."
- Massachusetts Historical Commission - Woodside Park - MACRIS website

""The Wood estated extended from Pleasant Street to the inner harbor on a gentle incline to the water's edge. George Howard Wood, was a well-known merchant tailor in Boston with the form Wood & Dodge. His vision for the property was to turn it into a summer resort for those seeking "quiet and health by the shore.'""
- The Sallie and Stacy Saunders Story, Chapter 2-2, 1992 The Move to Winthrop, pg 53, 2007

Google Maps Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/ThBPjRA14NG2
View Google Map



HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org