Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources
Notable

Willard M. Bacon

- Massachusetts Historical Commission, MACRIS Record for Willard Bacon house - Website, PDF
Willard M. Bacon
- Winthrop Public Library
   "Willard M. Bacon is the architect that made the most substantial impact on the design of Winthrop's built environment. Bacon was born in Willsboro, Pennsylvania in 1860. At age 20, he joined the important Boston architectural firm of Sturgis and Brigham as a draughtsman. In 1884, he established his own architectural practice at 27 Kilby Street, Boston. He was a resident of Winthrop for 60 years, designing the town's public library, High School, Winthrop Yacht Club, grammar schools, fire stations and the Winthrop Town Hall. He designed many Boston area residences and is credited with the design of several of the houses in Caruth Street, Dorchester's, fine collection of turn of the century residences. He retired in 1929 and died in September of 1947."
- Massachusetts Historical Commission, MACRIS Record for Highland School - Website, PDF
   "Winthrop architect Willard M. Bacon (1860-1947) earned $11,272 for designing the Highland School. Born in Pennsylvania, he was a talented Boston-based architect who trained with the prominent Boston firm of Sturgis and Brigham. In 1884 he opened his own practice at 27 Kilby Street, and later Water Street in Boston, retiring from that practice in 1930. He moved to Winthrop in 1887, residing first at 162 Washington Avenue, and from 1914 until his death in 1947 at 3 Elmwood Court, in view of the Winthrop Yacht Club, another one of his commissions.
    Willard Bacon was well known in Winthrop for designing several of the town's most important structures ofthe late 19th and early 20th century. One of his early works was St. John's Episcopal Church (1889) on Bowdoin Street, reportedly designed to the specifications of Rev. John C. Hewlett, its first rector. His other contributions to Winthrop's public architecture are the Center School, the Winthrop Center Fire Station, Frost Public Library, the Winthrop Yacht Club, Winthrop High School, the Edward B. Newton School, and the Winthrop Town Hall."
 
 
 


HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org