Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources

Governor Winthrop House
John Winthrop





 

Marker for the site of house erected by Governor John Winthrop (1588-1649) (Wikipedia) about 1634 and occupied for a time previous to 1647 by his son Deane who established on the nearby hill a ship signaling station by hoisting a bush to the top of a pole.

The Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission erected markers around the Commonwealth in 1930. These signs all have 1630 - 1930 and the state shield at the top. The Deane Winthrop House also has one.

"Site of house erected by Governor Winthrop about 1634 and occupied for a time previous to his son Deane who established on the nearby hill a ship signalinng station by hoisting a bush to the top of a pole."
- Catalog of Massachusetts Tercentenary Commission Markers, pg. 38

Memorial Location: Corner of Shirley St. and Ingleside Ave.

Google Maps Street View
View Google Map



HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org