Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources

Civil War Memorial





 

The Winthrop Civil War Memorial was erected in 1907, 41 years after the end of the war. The sculptor was Edward J. Clark. It was moved to its present location to accommodate a street widening.

"The memorial underscores Winthrop's response to the Union cause. Although the town's population was very small in 1861, it furnished 72 men for the purposes of the armed services. The Town's monetary contribution to the war effort was $10,744.00. The war proved to be a great stimulus to the local economy with the Revere Copper works at Point Shirley experiencing a great demand for its products. Wintbhrop"s most famous and honored soldier was William Francis Bartlett of Cottage Park. He rose to the rank of brigadier general and was named Massachusetts' most valuable soldier by Governor Andrew after the war. This monument was dedicated in 1907 by one of the last substantial showings of the men in blue uniforms in Winthrop's Memorial Day parade."
- Massachusetts Historical Commission - Winthrop Civil War Memorial - MACRIS website

Memorial location: Town Hall Square

Google Maps Street View
View Google Map



HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org