Town Memorials | Winthrop, Massachusetts
HOME Veterans Wars and Forts Civic Schools Street and Corners People
Storefronts Hotels Maps Books Search Sources

Fort Banks
General Nathaniel P. Banks




"Fort Banks was a U.S. Coast Artillery fort located in Winthrop, Massachusetts. It served to defend Boston Harbor from enemy attack from the sea and was built in the 1890s during what is known as the Endicott period, a time in which the coast defenses of the United States were seriously expanded and upgraded with new technology."
- Winthrop Historical Commission sign

"The fort was named after Nathaniel P. Banks (1816 - 1894), an American politician and a Union general during the American Civil War."
- Wikipedia - Nathaniel P. Banks

Memorial location: Corner of Main St. and Sunset Rd.

The Fort Banks Athletic Field is dedicated to Michael R. Cellucci.

Google Maps Street View
View Google Map



HOME | Veterans | Wars and Forts | Civic | Schools | Streets and Corners | People |
Storefronts | Hotels | Maps | Books | Search | Sources |
Additions, Corrections, Comments? Please email contact@winthropmemorials.org